“Natural homemade weed killers are a better option than using harmful products with chemicals in them that you can’t pronounce.”
If you have a garden, you more than likely have had to deal with unwanted plants called weeds. Weeds compete with your plants for water, nutrients and light. This can lead to lower yields for your plants. Not only can they be harmful to your plants, they can be harmful to humans as some weed can irritate the skin and cause allergies.
How Can You Prevent Weeds?
Of course preventing weeds, before they grow is the best policy with your plants since they can grow faster than they can. Make sure to:
1. Use clean seeds that are free from seeds.
2. Use well decomposed compost
3. Cut weeds before seeding
4. Remove weed growth
Natural Weed Control Methods
Mechanical Method- Of course the easiest way, in terms of not using chemicals, is the mechanical method which can be done by hand weeding, you can also use a sickle. You can also burn, or flood your weeds.
Chemical Methods of Weed Control
Herbicides are any chemicals that kills plants, or inhibits their growth. One can use products like roundup, however, these products are being linked to forms of cancer in humans. Natural weed control is a better option to avoid the harmful reactions one can have from ones you buy.
1. Boiling Water- Pour on growing weeds
2. Cornmeal – Scatter over soil to prevent crabgrass and dandelions
3. Rubbing Alcohol- Mix with 1 qt water.
4. Salt- Use 3 to 1 ratio of water and salt in a spray bottle.
5. Vinegar- Use 1 gallon vinegar. 2 cups salt (Epson salt preferred) ¼ cup Blue dawn dish soap)
We hope these recipes help you create your own natural homemade weed killer that will kill weeds, without covering your plants with harmful chemicals. Please share!